Time to Light the Tree!
The cyber-sale emails keep flooding the inbox. The last one just referred to this as “Cyber Week.” Sheesh!
If you’d like to experience a little small town/island Christmas fun, this coming weekend is a beloved local tradition. It’s the annual Isle of Palms Holiday Street Festival and Tree Lighting, and it will be taking place this Saturday, December 6th from 2:00 p.m. till 7:00 p.m. If you are heading into one of our SC vacation rentals – specifically one of our Isle of Palms luxury rentals – you might want to check it out.
The fun happens at Front Beach of the IOP. There will be visits with the big guy (Santa), carnival rides, jump castle, climbing wall, restaurant and food specials, photo booth, face painting, balloon artist, local entertainment, holiday shopping, light displays … and for the culmination, they’ll light the 22-foot tall Christmas tree. It’s all a stone’s throw from many of our beach house rentals Charleston SC. If you’re in a luxury house on Isle of Palms, you might just want to stroll on over.
If you’ve got kids staying in your Charleston beach house, next Wednesday, December 10th there will be a fun kids’ workshop – cookie decorating for Santa – at 4:00 p.m. in the IOP Rec Center. There is no charge but you must preregister. Isle of Palms Recreation Center: (843) 886-8294
If you’ll be in one of our Isle of Palms vacation rentals closer to Christmas, on Monday, December 22nd there’ll be a workshop ongingerbread house decorating for kids aged 7 to 14, also in the IOP Rec Center. All materials will be provided. The charge is $5 and you must register by Friday, Dec. 12th.
Speaking of holiday lights, the Holiday Festival of Lights at James Island County Park is in the running for the best public holiday lighting display in America. It’s one of 20 finalists in the competition run by USA Today and is up against such big cities as Denver and Houston. Voting takes place now through December 15th.
These are the nominees:
- Austin Trail of Lights – Zilker Park
- Blossoms of Light – Denver Botanic Gardens
- Christmas on Main Street – Silver Dollar City
- Dominion Garden of Lights-Norfolk Botanical Garden
- Fantasy in Lights – Callaway Gardens
- Festival of Lights – Mission Inn Hotel & Spa
- Festival of Lights – Moody Gardens
- Garden Lights – Atlanta Botanical Garden
- Garden of Lights – Honor Heights Park
- Holiday Festival of Lights – James Island
- Holiday Lights Show – Coeur d’Alene Resort
- Illumination: Tree Lights – Morton Arboretum
- Legendary Lights of Clifton Mill – Clifton Mill
- Lights Under Louisville – Louisville Mega Cavern
- Magic Christmas in Lights – Bellingrath Gardens
- Night of Lights – Downtown St. Augustine
- Zoo Lights – Houston Zoo
- ZooLights – Lincoln Park Zoo
- ZooLights – Oregon Zoo
- ZooLights – Phoenix Zoo
Cast your vote for our own Holiday Festival of Lights here:http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-public-lights-display/
Last I checked, we’re coming in at #3… so be sure to get your vote in for James Island! After all, it has over 700 light displays and more than two million lights, and many of the displays showcase the beauty and charm of the Lowcountry.
If you haven’t been yet, do try and check it out. It’ll be up through New Year’s Eve. It’s an easy drive from all our luxury beach house rentals SC, especially if you happen to be staying in a Folly Beach house Charleston.
And remember to call EP when you’re looking for rental homes South Carolina; we have the very best in beach rentals Charleston.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger