Isle of Palms luxury rentals + Spoleto = a world class experience
Isle of Palms luxury rentals, the specialty of Exclusive Properties, make the ideal option for a Spoleto home base, allowing you to experience the world-class cultural scene AND the natural beauty of the beach during the very same vacation.
As I covered in this last BLOG, the Spoleto Festival has officially opened its online tickets sales to the public. They went on sale at 10:00 a.m. yesterday. And as anticipated, there was HOT demand. A friend went online at about 10:05 a.m., and there were 276 ahead of her in line before she could check out. Luckily she was able to get the tickets she wanted, but if you’re interested in Spoleto tickets, don’t wait to try and purchase them in person (at the Charleston Visitor Center, at 375 Meeting Street, starting March 14th, or at the Gaillard Center starting on May 2nd). You’d better get online now – https://spoletousa.org/.
This year’s Spoleto Festival USA 2016 runs from May 26th through June 12th.
And just like there is a hot demand for Spoleto tickets (especially for the much-anticipated production of “Porgy and Bess” at the new Gaillard Center), so is there hot demand for our luxury beach house rentals SC, whether you might be interested in one of our Isle of Palms vacation rentals or a Folly Beach house Charleston. If you are thinking about booking a Charleston beach house for the festival or for any other big weekend like SEWE or the Cooper River Bridge Run, the sooner you call, the better the selection of beach rentals Charleston will be.
Here are the highlights of the 2016 Spoleto Festival, now in its 40th year, from their recent press release:
Highlights of the 2016 Festival:
- First Spoleto Festival USA production of opera Porgy and Bess, directed by David Herskovits with visual design by artist Jonathan Green, featuring Alyson Cambridge and Lester Lynch in the title roles, conducted by Stefan Asbury
- World premiere of Grace Notes: Reflections for Now directed by visual artist Carrie Mae Weems featuring music, spoken word, and video projections reflecting on grace and democracy
- World premiere of “African romance” Afram ou La Belle Swita by Charleston-born composer Edmund Thornton Jenkins with stage direction by David Herskovits and performed by cast members from Porgy and Bess
- US premiere of opera The Little Match Girl by contemporary German composer Helmut Lachenmann, co-directed by Mark Down and Phelim McDermott, featuring sopranos Heather Buck and Yuko Kakuta, and conducted by John Kennedy
- US premiere of comic baroque opera La Double Coquette by Antoine Dauvergne with revisions by contemporary composer Gérard Pesson performed by early music specialists Ensemble Amarillis
- US premiere of a new production of Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest by Dublin’s Gate Theatre, directed by Patrick Mason
- US premiere of Golem by innovative theater company 1927
- 40th-Season Celebration Concert featuring the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra, Westminster Choir, artists from the Bank of America Chamber Music series and Wells Fargo Jazz series, and special guests to be held in the newly renovated Charleston Gaillard Center conducted by former Festival Music Director Steven Sloane
- Bank of America Chamber Music series led by Geoff Nuttall to feature the St. Lawrence String Quartet in residence for the duration of the Festival and works by 2016 composer-in-residence Osvaldo Golijov
- The Westminster Choir, Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra, and members of the Charleston Symphony Orchestra Chorus to perform Beethoven’s Mass in C Major and Choral Fantasy in the new Charleston Gaillard Center conducted by Joe Miller
- Members of the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra to perform a 40th-anniversary performance of Steve Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians, a chamber orchestra program, and Music in Time concerts in addition to performing in Porgy and Bess, The Little Match Girl, and two Charleston Gaillard Center concerts
- Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company returns to the Festival, and the Aakash Odedra Company (UK), L.A. Dance Project, Sadler’s Wells’s Havana Rakatan, and choreographer Amy O’Neal’s hip hop work Opposing Forces make their Spoleto Festival USA debuts in the 2016 dance series
- Randy Weston African Rhythms Sextet and René Marie to perform Wells Fargo Jazz series concerts in the Charleston Gaillard Center; jazz series also features singer Cécile McLorin Salvant, pianist Jason Moran and his Fats Waller Dance Party, and The Freddy Cole Quartet
- Cuban culture celebrated with performances of Havana Rakatan showcasing Cuban dance, and Wells Fargo jazz series concerts by Arturo O’Farrill and the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra and the Bohemian Trio featuring saxophonist Yosvany Terry
- Special Festival-eve and opening-night concerts by bluegrass luminaries Old Crow Medicine Show in the College of Charleston Cistern Yard on May 26 and 27
- Three critically acclaimed theater productions Ada/Ava, The Gambler’s Guide to Dying, and Every Brilliant Thing to be performed in Charleston following international festival appearances
- City-wide activities planned around Porgy and Bess to celebrate the production’s origins and history in Charleston including daily walking tours throughout the Festival
- Wells Fargo Festival Finale held at Middleton Place to feature eight-piece soul band Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats on June 12.
And going on now near our Isle of Palms luxury rentals …
If you’re here in one of our beach house rentals Charleston SC right now, there are a couple fun things worth checking out.
Well, this weekend they’re at it again with their annual Taste of Folly, where you can sample some of the best food and beverages Folly establishments have to offer.
It actually kicks off tonight with a high-powered cocktail competition, where your favorite Folly bartenders compete to make the best concoction in the BARTENDER MIX-OFF. Admission is $20, which includes 5 ounce tastings of each entry. The event is from 7:00 till 10:00 p.m. and takes place in the ballroom of the Tides Hotel at the very base of Center Street.
Then tomorrow (Saturday, January 16th) is the main event. They’ll be blocking off a large chunk of Center Street from 11:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m. Get set for:
- Food and drinks specialties from local Folly favorites
- Local artists and vendors
- Fun activities for the kids
- Hot dog eating contest at 1:00
- Date auction
- Live music by One Kool Blow
Here’s a link with more info from the Post & Courier: http://www.charlestonscene.com/article/20160114/CS/160119700
And here is the official Facebook page for the event: https://www.facebook.com/TasteOfFolly
This event isn’t far from any of our rental homes South Carolina.
If you happen to be staying in a luxury house on Isle of Palms, you might want to check out something cool and free going on tomorrow at the Sewee Center, just up Highway 17 from our Isle of Palms luxury rentals.
Red wolves, which used to be quite abundant, are now an endangered species. The Sewee Center, however, has a great program where they house, study and preserve some of the rare creatures in hopes of helping their chances at survival. They have a male and female breeding pair, as well as two male pups who were born in April of 2014.
These beautiful animals are notoriously shy around people, except for feeding time.
Tomorrow morning at 11:30, they’ll be having a feeding that is open to the public. It’ll give you the chance to see them in person and take photographs from a reasonable distance. On hand will be Rob “The Wolfman,” who will share all kinds of information and answer any questions you may have about them.
The Sewee Visitor and Environmental Education Center is located at 5821 Highway 17 North in Awendaw. Here’s more about the center: http://www.fws.gov/refuge/sewee_center/
And here’s info about the wolves: http://www.fws.gov/refuge/sewee_center/wildlife_and_habitat/red_wolves/
So check out some wolves, and remember to get those Spoleto tickets soon. And remember, when you are looking for SC vacation rentals, especially Isle of Palms luxury rentals, to call EP for the very best.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger